A Stripey Little Number



I first saw this dress on Shannon and more recently on Lara.  After seeing Lara's version I rushed out and bought New Look 6071.  I paid full price no less, something I don't usually do.  I had this lovely black and grey cotton lycra that had been previously ear marked as a tee and I envisioned it made into this dress although was a little unsure about how the stripes and the draping across the bust would turn out. 

My initial plan was to have the sleeves short but once I had finished I decided that I liked the idea of a 3/4 sleeve, hence the band at the bottom.  It made my job of hemming the sleeves easier and I think the band with the stripes running in the opposite direction gives at dress some interest.  The only other change I made to the dress was to grade the skirt from a size 10 to a size 12.  I needn't have bothered though because the skirt had quite a bit of fullness in it anyway but a little extra movement in a casual skirt can't be a bad thing. 

I had read that this dress had quite a deep and revealing neckline but I was pleasantly surprised to find that this one, although low, certainly wasn't revealing on me.  Because the weather is less than tropical still though, I decided today to wear it over a lace edged tank for extra warmth.

I really like this dress.  It is both comfortable and stylish and would look equally good with boots and tights or sandals so it will make a practical transitional dress.  Today I am wearing it with tights and leather boots by Isabella Anselmi.

Would I make this dress again?  Yes, definitely!  I would like to have a go at making it into a tee shirt to wear with jeans.

Comments

  1. That looks GREAT! Now I want to make it again in a cotton/lycra stripe and with cuffs. May I copy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress. I have been into stripes a lot lately. New Look is next to never on sales so I usually pay the full price too. Thankfully they are much cheaper than the big 4's. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks great on you! It looks like it fits you really well. I have been eyeing off this pattern...then I was too scared to venture into unknown pattern territory, as I have not sewed a New Look, and didn't know what the fit would be like. Yours has turned out great, so I think I will have to reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great dress. The stripes were a great fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it so much I might have to buy this pattern too. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress looks terrific on you, I love the twist/wrap and the 3/4 sleeves, what an excellent transitional dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your new dress - you look fantastic in it. It would be great as a summer dress and shortened into a top as well - I think I will put this on my list ( getting quite long now )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic - I love it. The stripes were a great choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts