Tuesday, January 15, 2013

First Challenge For 2013....Done!


There is nothing like a new challenge to kick off a new year and Kwik Sew 3300 provided me with just the challenge.  I have been making undies for a while but had not attempted a bra since a one off in the 1990's.  My original 1990's bra was self drafted and although it was successful, I found the process time consuming and the results not quite what I suspected.  For this particular project I invested in Kwik Sew 3300.  I have to say, having a decent pattern and construction details made all of the difference and although the project was time consuming, it was very much worth it. 

Since this was a trial bra, I chose to use a relatively unused synthetic  tee shirt for the main fabric and some left over lace from this top as a contrast. 

I prefer my bras slightly padded and briefly considered making this one without, when I had a brainwave.  What if I interlined it with some super fine microfleece. I was initially concerned that this may make the centre seam a little bumpy and annoying to wear, but decided to take a risk and do it anyway.  I am glad I did because my fears were unfounded and this proved to be a fantastic solution.


The pattern has you make the straps by ironing interfacing to the reverse of the straps before construction and stitching a short length of elastic between the strap and the back.  I wasn't satisfied with this strap construction, preferring a more elastic strap.  I decided to make my straps more like swimwear straps.  I stitched and turned my straps before threading through a narrow braided elastic, cutting it slightly short and 3 step zigzagging to hold the elastic in place.  I now have adequate stretch in my straps so that when I shrug my shoulders I have some movement.  I was frugal with the underwires as well.  I simply cut existing wires from an old bra that I no long wanted.  I bought the lingerie elastic from Lincraft.  It is a lovely heavy lingerie elastic of a grade you would find on rtw bras.




With a little careful pattern manipulation I also managed to squeeze  a pair of undies out of my fabric as well.  I used an old cotton tee for the lining.  Once again I used McCall's 5400 as the pattern.  This time however I reduced the elastic to 50cm around each leg and 60cm around the waist.  I also reduced the width in the crotch by 5mm on each side.  I am really pleased with the way these turned out. 

I am really keen now to buy some supplies and make a second set.

10 comments:

  1. Great job - it's always nice to complete a challenge you've set for yourself. I've been wanting to try making bras for a while so I've joined the bra making sew-along, I hope I'm as happy with the final result as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have signed up as well but haven't got much further because I have had a bereavement in the family this week. Hopefully next week I can catch up.

      Delete
  2. This little set looks gorgeous! Well done on the construction...J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. You've chosen some beautiful fabrics for a wonderful set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes I wonder how the combinations will work but somehow it all comes together in the end.

      Delete
  4. That set looks terrific! I've never ventured into the realm of bra-making. Maybe 2013 could be the year for me too! I look forward to seeing your next set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I must admit, although time consuming, it is self satisfying.

      Delete
  5. Your bra set looks great. Well done. I'm on the lookout for a bra pattern because I am determined to make my own too. I'm like a 10E and the Kwik Sew doesn't go this size. When I tried to buy one online from Europe the postage was so expensive that I emptied my cart :( Looking for more of your bras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. What a pain with the sizing. I am not sure what you can do about that. If you used it enough it would be value for money but it is a risk.

      Delete