A Frankenpattern Work Dress


With the long dry continuing, I figured I had time for just one more summerish dress.  This particular one does have sleeves so could be justified as an early autumn dress.   I was going through my stash last week and was wondering just what to do with the pieces of linen I had amassed in my collection, when I had a bright idea.   I really liked the Vogue colour blocked dress but really couldn't justify another pattern and knew I had just the colour combination for a lovely colour blocked linen dress.

My epiphany came in the form of Butterick 6933 which has been in my stash since before my blog.  It is a preloved beauty that found itself in my collection for less than a cup of coffee.  I used it way back when for this dress.  I wanted my new dress to be spliced but also wanted the neckline to be higher and the dress to be A line.  

The first thing I did was to redraft the pattern.  I used Vogue 1247, my favourite skirt pattern, for the A line shape of the skirt.  I really liked the neckline on my peplum top, so copied the neckline on Vogue 8815.  I spliced the dress reasonably evenly but unlike the Vogue original dress, I incorporated the top splice into the bust darts which totally illuminated them.  I then measured the skirt into two even sized pieces and this became my bottom two tiers.  The back was then drafted so that the blocks measured up.  I re cut the sleeve top because the original pattern had too much fullness and was actually more gathered than the pattern showed.  The sleeves actually turned out to be more labour intensive than I had anticipated and even though I am happy with how they turned out, if I was to use the pattern again, I would definitely redraft them yet again.



This dress tuned out to be quite the fabric hog.  I only had a small piece of the pink linen but two large pieces of the black and blue.  I still have heaps of both of these left so this dress was probably not the best use of fabric.

I decided not to line the dress, simply because I didn't have any suitable lining in my stash and I really couldn't be bothered making a special trip to the fabric shop.  I know it is a bit lazy but this week with the new job, this is exactly where my head is at.  I also reasoned that if I didn't line it, I could wear it on a summers day without feeling uncomfortable and through the autumn I would just need to wear a slip.

This photo was taken today, after a full day at work.  There are a few wrinkles in the seat which is consistent with linen but all in all it held up well.  It is comfortable to wear but still fitting; everything you need in an office appropriate dress.

Comments

  1. Fun but professional looking dress for work .Linen is lovely so I think it is lucky you have leftovers to make something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I struggle with work clothing because bright colours suit me but are not always suitable for office attire.

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I just sewed the vogue version for my sister. Love the color blocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really wasn't inspired by the Vogue pattern until I saw it made up. I have seen so many lovely versions on the net.

      Delete
  3. Maybe it's your mission - should you choose to accept it - to inject a burst of colour into the office! Inspire others to see the possibilities. How's the new job going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I will be inspiring anyone because I am the only female in an all male office. The job is going well, thank you but does unfortunately mean I missed out on the primary school triathlon last week and the zones swimming sports today. It all takes a bit of getting used to especially when my last job was from home.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on getting the job. Your new office dress looks very smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you on both counts. It rained for the third time this year today which was good for the farmers who were getting desperate but certainly not for my rather depleted office wardrobe. I think autumn may have arrived today.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts