Fabric Buying and Musings


A week or so ago, I had the urge to check out the fabric bin at my favourite op shop for fabric.  Of course when one has an itch, it really must be scratched, so scratch I did and this is what I came away with.

In this haul, there is some brick red linen, matching striped cotton lycra, also matching cotton woven shirting weight, very funky satin, a piece of lining for an upcoming project and two pieces of taslon, also for an upcoming project.  One of these pieces has already been made into something for autumn but I am yet to get a photo.

Oh and a little housekeeping..................

'I, Andrea, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '13. I endeavour to wear  at least one me made item each day for the duration of May 2013'



Yup, I am participating again. The incessant photography last year, did not deter me from participating again. In fact, I find it quite handy at this time of the year, looking back and seeing what I wore last year on those no inspiration kind of days.

Has anyone else outside of the UK been glued to Youtube watching "The Great British Sewing Bee".  It got me thinking.  How would I cope with time constraints and the pressure?  Would I cope with creativity in the face of cameras or would my brain turn to mush.  I suspect the later might be the case!  

I admire Ann.  She is so unflappable and just gets on with the job with outstanding results.  Her no nonsense approach reminds me so much of my late grandmother who still remains my sewing idol.

I am really looking forward to the next installment and if TVNZ are reading this....could I please have a New Zealand version?  It would make a pleasant change from all of those reality cooking shows!





Comments

  1. Score! Some very cool fabrics in there. I had a bit of a spend at Lincraft yesterday but only pajama fabrics. Still, it's not like you can do much else in this weather...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the weather...on the positive side, it is great sewing weather but unfortunately my sewing can't keep up with the present demand!

      Delete
  2. Great score. I too have enjoyed watching the sewing bee and would love a local version. I have no doubt I was crumble under the lights or become overwhelmed with the fabric choices. I hate sewing under pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing better that a good op shop fabric haul. Love it! I am also addicted to the 'Sewing Bee' and have been checking Youtube over and over for the latest episode. I've also wondered about sewing under pressure since watching it. I think the stress of something going wrong would be terrible. I've got my money on Ann winning, she is amazing, not least for her upside down yoga pose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I am that agile at her age. I want Ann to win as well.

      Delete
  4. Oh I am so over cooking reality tv shows, there seems to be one on every night! An NZ sewing reality show would be a welcome change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Marice Williamson can get on the Ellen show with his YouTube Big Gay Rainbow speech, anything is possible!

      Delete
  5. Yep, much the same here in oz - reality cooking shows chewing up all the air waves. I don't watch it though... I'd rather be sewing! I saw the link the other day advertising for Season 2's contestants... and felt just a little bit crestfallen I couldn't sign up. Here's hoping either NZ or Aus copies this across - would be great to see some local faces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup cooking shows just after spending an hour cooking dinner are yawn inducing in my book. I am also enjoying Thelma's Gypsy Girls as well.

      Delete
  6. And the winner of the Great British Sewing Bee is.......I am not going to tell you...you will have to watch for yourself but it is up on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts