Winter Means Knitting


Let me just start by saying, I am never going to win any prizes for speed knitting.  This project was started close to a year ago when winter projects were still on my mind.  With the beginning of the warm weather though, it lay around gathering dust until I picked up my needles again when autumn started creeping up on me.

The pattern I used was from a Sabrina magazine that I picked up at my local bookshop in Autumn 2012.  I did have a small issue with the sizing though as the yarn that they suggest I use was not the actual way we measure yarn in New Zealand.  After a little bit of pattern comparison, I decided on a size that I thought would fit with my chosen wool.  It is a 5 ply 100% European wool that I picked up at Lincraft in a sale last year.  It was of lovely quality despite it's economical price of a mere $27 for the entire cardigan, including a sizeable amount of leftovers.


I did find with the pattern that the sleeves were abnormally tight which would have meant not wearing anything underneath.  I prefer to wear an extra layer under a wool cardigan to avoid any possible itch.  I had nearly completed the first sleeve when I found this little gem out, so was forced to undo my good work, putting this project back further.



 I was lucky enough to find two perfectly sized buttons in my stash that matched the cardigan perfectly.

I completed this cardigan a week ago and already it has had two outings.  I had forgotten how cozy a hand knitted wool cardigan is for the winter.  I used to knit for myself all of the time pre children, but hand knitting fell out of favour for quite a few years, so my knitting efforts were reserved for keeping the kids warm as opposed to myself.  

I am pleased I have chosen to pick up the needles again and it has certainly come in handy over the weekend when I was stuck on the couch,  after an emergency route canal on Saturday morning in response to the worse tooth ache and infection I have ever experienced.  My knitting proved to be a great companion to the tv and antibiotics that have been my life since then.  

Comments

  1. Just lovely. Don't stress about a one year project. I'd take at least three to knit your lovely cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it could well have been three years, had my conscience not made me finish it!

      Delete
  2. It's a lovely shape with the ties and makes me wish I knew how to knit. Hate those root canals - doesn't only hurt in the mouth but the pocket as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The worst part of the root canal is the impending endontist invoice...ouch! I think that may hurt more than the tooth.

      Delete
  3. Ouch... the worst kind of a weekend! I'm always impressed by knitters, I can knit but a beanie and a pair of mittens per winter is my limit. The cardigan looks lovely and snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be with you on the knitting quantity. There simply aren't enough hours in the day.

      Delete
  4. That is so pretty. I started knitting again after a 22 year hiatus. I am reading your blog while "glistening" to put it nicely. It is over 100 F. here. I am knitting my dog and cat an afghan with little paw prints on some of the blocks. I will need that long to get them done in time for our winter. Hope your tooth is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't knit in the heat. I just can't get my head around it.

      Delete
  5. love this style! smart and still cosy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts