Number 5


I made a new dress or should I say a new version of an old dress. Once again I have made New Look 6071 and this particular version brings my total to 5.



This has to be my all time favourite dress pattern but even I am getting sick of making this dress.  It is however my favourite style to wear, hence the reason I keep making it.  I do feel now though, it is time to find a new tnt knit dress pattern.  It isn't that I haven't looked, but I just haven't found anything I like better.  The fabric I chose for this dress is a light weight jersey knit that I picked up for $6 per metre at Cotura Fashions, and since I particularly like this style in stripes, having made it 4 out of 5 times in stripes, I predictably made it once again in stripes.  My confidence in stripe matching must be increasing because this wide stripe was not simple to match up with the draped bodice and the fact the front and back skirt pieces don't actually match up and one piece always has to be cut shorter.  This is something that has frustrated me every time I have come to make this dress up and only after cutting out this version, have I remedied the pattern.  If there is to be a next version and should it be striped, it should now be quite simple to match my front and back pieces.

As predictable as this dress has now become, this far into the winter, it is refreshing to have something new to add to my work wardrobe.  With spring showing it's presence almost daily now, it won't be something that will be worn for long.  I am persevering with my winter clothing makes at the moment though, because my fabric stash seems to be heavily weighted in favour of winter fabrics and these are taking up a rather large portion of my fabric storeage cupboard.  If I want to buy some summer fabrics, and I do, I need to make room for them.  Rather than find a home for my summer fabric, I am committed to a little stash busting so while I can still justify a few more winter makes, this is what I am determined to do at least for a few more weeks.

Comments

  1. I just bought this pattern because of all your great versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving number five. It's a terrific stripe, and as always it looks great on you. So much so that I have just starting cutting another one out for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a good pattern. I wish I could find another that I liked as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great dress and it does look pretty awesome with the stripey fabric. I like your idea about sewing from stash too. I'm not doing very well at that. With no time to sew I seem to add to be adding to my stash just so that I feel connected to my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem but I am trying to have more go out than come in but with limited time it is not always easy.

      Delete
  5. I love that fabric and the dress is great on you. I wonder if you could use the basic shape and change the pattern to remove the crossover part and maybe even change the neckline. That way you could still keep the flattering shape, but make more (and more) dresses that look different from each other.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts