Retro Print Vogue





I did promise there would be another!  After a few cooler days,
which is the norm in spring, I hatched a plan to add sleeves to Vogue 1250.  I had in my mind a replacement pattern for my favourite New Look 6071 which I am really quite sick of but love all at the same time.  I felt sleeves of some sort would be a little more work appropriate than sleeveless and also mean't I could go without a cardigan in my highly air conditioned office.  Because the cotton lycra I chose was a more wintery print, it leant itself to longer sleeves.  I bought the fabric for $3 per metre, a couple of years ago at Fabric Vision, so wasn't overly concerned if my plan was an epic fail, but it had to be done!






To achieve the desired effect, and a better fit, I added 1.5cm to the front and back neck and 1cm to the armhole openings.  This mean't the shoulder seam was longer and the neck opening smaller.  I cut out all of the pieces on the grain this time because I felt that a knit dress on the bias was overkill and used more fabric than necessary.  I added 1cm  swimwear elastic to the back neck and stitched it between the back and the lining without stretching to add some stability.  I topstitched the back neck once the dress was finished and the elastic is incased in the topstitching.  For the sleeves, I used the pattern from New Look 6071 which just proves that there really is no getting away from this pattern completely.  Like my first version of this dress I shortened the bodice by 1cm but this time, I let out the skirt side seams as much as I could and just overlocked the front and back together without removing any fabric at the hips in the process.  I then ran the bodice in at the sides by 1cm also on each panel.  I eased the skirt onto the bodice, and hey presto I had a dress with a fit I am extremely happy with!




My verdict....I have a new favourite dress!  There will be another, perhaps with cap sleeves next time!

Comments

  1. It looks great with the sleeves. Cap sleeves would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am really pleased with the way this turned out.

      Delete
  2. This is lovely and looks great on you. Congratulations. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress. I've been wondering if sleeves would work in this pattern. Clearly they add value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look nice, and I really like that sleeve length, very flattering. Cap sleeves will be great for summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tend to gravitate to a sleeve except on the hottest days in summer, especially for work.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts