Spring Florals



I bought this lovely stretch poplin on Trademe at the beginning of spring with a fullish floral dress in mind.  It is quite light weight being a poplin so was best suited to a somewhat full skirt.  The problem however was, how to choose a style that 'A' suited my bottom heavy hour glass shape and 'B' make it not look like a dress best worn by a teenager.  Another words, a pretty, age appropriate, full skirted summer dress that didn't make me look like a sack of spuds tied in the middle....hmmm, a tall order, perhaps!  Enter Vogue 1353.  Now this pattern has received mixed reviews but being a recent Vogue convert, I forged ahead anyway undeterred. 

I traced the pattern to size 10 in the bodice, grading out to size 12 in the hips.  Had I listened to the reviews, I would have narrowed the shoulders slightly as well and this is my only regret with this pattern.  If I were to make it again, I would narrow the shoulders at the arm opening about 1 cm and add this back in at the neck edge.  The problem is only minor however, and is nothing a couple of bra stays made out of grosgrain ribbon and snaps won't fix!

I realised when I began sewing the dress, that I didn't have an invisible zipper.  In fact, I didn't have a zipper at all.  I did however have a roll of beige diy zippers that I bought to make cushion covers,  so I ended up using this and cutting it to length.  I also didn't have thread in the correct colour but did have a roll of invisible thread, so rather than have my stitches showing, for the first time ever, I hand stitched my zipper in, leaving near invisible stitching.  I am quite happy with the result because it made avoiding the pleat that is quite close to the zipper, a simple process.


So, boyed by my zipper success, I hand stitched my hem using the same thread instead of the wide hem facing that the pattern called for.


Yesterday while I was perusing the internet, looking for inspiration for my next project, I came across this just about identical dress by Lisa Law which I find quite spooky really!  Or is it just a case of great minds think alike!

Comments

  1. Great job on the dress and that really is spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress looks lovely - perfect for the (hopefully!!) warm weather ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you both have great taste in dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If the truth be known I did give myself a little bit of a pat on the back to think that a well known designer chose a similar fabric/dress combination as me.

      Delete
  4. It is uncanny but your both ladies of exquisite style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Funny, I don't think of myself as someone with any sort of style. That honour seems to be reserved for other people.

      Delete
  5. Definitely great minds think alike! I love your fabric and the style is really pretty and flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I usually steer away from full skirts but I am not sure whether it is the high waist or stitched down pleats, for some reason it works!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts