Moments Of Clarity




The biggest advantage of sewing for myself, I have found, is finding out what suits my particular shape.  Reading sewing blogs has helped me tremendously in this department.  I could have saved myself squillions had I had this knowledge in my teens and twenties.  I can't think how many times I have made something or bought something only to have buyers remorse.  I still have these moments from time to time and most recently two pairs of rtw ponti pants that I bought in haste in early autumn, which now gather dust due to poor fit, come to mind.  Not only is it a waste of money but resources as well.  So when I find a pattern that fits like a glove and I feel good wearing that item of clothing, I tend to make multiples.  My latest offering is one of those.  Oh Ginger, you have me under your spell!  I resisted your charms for so long, but in the end you won me over with your modern vibe, shaped waistband and slender fit.  I am sorry to say Jalie, that you have been retired to the box of redundant patterns buried in the garage.  We have been well acquainted over the last few years but nothing lasts forever!  You were designed for someone more svelte than me and my New Zealand women's hips.  Before you ask, yes there is a thing.  European women are more narrow hipped apparently than Kiwis.




Now, no pattern is perfect I have to say, but all Ginger took was to blend the two patterns.  I thought stove pipe meant skinny but the cut of these jeans is what we call straight leg and I wanted skinnys.  I wore high waisted jeans in the 1980's and wasn't prepared to go there again and low rise, well as much as I love muffins, muffin top is certainly something to be avoided.




I ended up using the stove pipe pattern and narrowed it to the dimensions of the skinny.  I then cut the lengthen/shorten lines and added 1.5cm off each back piece at the waist, tapering downwards to accommodate my sway back.  For future pairs I need to remove more because there is a slight gape.


Sizing on this pattern was the most difficult thing to work out.  My measurements put me at a size 10 but my rtw jeans measured a 6.  Usually in an American pattern size I would be a 4-6.  In the end I went with the size 6 and I a glad I did.  The fit is spot on without being tight.

As others have said, the fly instructions are outstanding and this is the first pair of pants the fly doesn't pull.  I don't know whether this is because of better fit or a better fly.




The big thing I learnt making these pants is I need a smaller front 

and a larger back.  Duh!  Why had I not worked this out before! Simply letting pants out made the front loose.  I would now like to adapt this pattern to a more chino shape using the stove pipe pattern.  Oh and I have ordered more denim from Fabric.com so this pattern will come out to play again.



I wrote this post a couple of weeks ago before I had worn the jeans and am happy to report, I still love these jeans.  The only slight disappointment is the quality of the fabric.  Despite being 2% Lycra, they do tend to stretch out over the course of the day.  It has become apparent that all denim is not created equal and this is one of the perils of ordering online.  I am however learning to identify what does work well and what to avoid in terms of denim.

Comments

  1. Yay for great jeans! I just bought some and I'm not 100% happy, but I also don't feel committed to make any. Looking forward to seeing more of these from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good on you. I was a little confused about the rise -- did you add 1.5 cm to make the rise somewhere between the low rise and high rise options? Because you're right -- already done the high rise jeans and I'm not doing low rise. Did you have any issues w the yoke being too wide? That's a complaint I've heard about these jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no problems with the yoke. I started by comparing the low rise version to my rtw pair to get the rise. I didn't want to shorten the high rise because figured it wouldn't fit around the waist once shortened which is why I extended the low rise. The only change I will make next time is to allow for what is technically described my drooping butt i.e. The wrinkles in the back leg.

      Delete
  3. There are strong signs here that you are a jeans master. These fit so nicely. Its a pity about the fabric. I've had very mixed experiences with denim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about the jeans master yet but I sure would like to be because for 6 months of the year, when not at work they are my uniform. I notice The Fabric Store are advertising denim at the moment so might have to do a reccy tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the Ginger fan club! They're a great looking pair of jeans and I really like the idea of having the rise somewhere between the high and low - might have to try that idea myself. It also looks like you've got the fit worked out too. Great jeans and I'm sure you won't be able to stop at one :) I've just made these up in a stretch cotton rather than denim and they've become my favourite pants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These jeans look great on you, in fact all your jeans have inspired me to think about making some of my own. However, the issue of good denim is hobbling me at the moment - can't seem to find any yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth giving jeans a go but good denim is hard to find unfortunately!

      Delete
  6. These jeans are great and look really good on you. I have enjoyed having a look at all your other makes too, you have a beautiful handmade wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post! I just bought the Ginger pattern and was thinking the same as you...blending the styles to suit my body and preferences. Great tips! They look great on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ginger jean is perhaps the only new pattern that I will buy for while. They look fantastic on all figures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts