Grainline Alder V2



This dress was on my sewing list last summer but I simply ran out of time.  The need for a loose cool dress to wear in the Las Vegas heat made me revisit it in the depths of our winter.  



My chosen fabric is a rayon that was originally two hideous cheaply made kimono tops on the remnant rack in an end of season sale.  I loved the print so bought two for a knock down price of $10 for both.  The kimonos necessitated a seam in the back bodice.   Other than that small alteration, the dress was put together to the pattern.  


The finished dress I love as much as I imagined I would, although I am pleasantly surprised that I love the gathered skirt as much as the straight version.   Gathers are a complete departure from my usual style but I feel this style of gathered skirt is quite grown up.




This dress will be equally as useful with a jacket or cardigan in spring in New Zealand although judging by the above photo, not so much on one of our blustery norwest days!

Comments

  1. Looks good and great fabric find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress and I'm very impressed with how you sourced your fabric. You must have great vision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty dress! I love that you saw the potential in the kimonos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress and yah to a clever remake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great dress, it looks fab on you. I think the rayon helps it fall beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's very cute! I can see why you fell in love with the fabric, it's gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts