Stylearc Taylor Knit Skirt



I was drawn to Stylearc's Taylor Knit Skirt as soon as it was released.  My attraction to all things stripes is starting to get out of control and although this asymmetrical stripe design is not to every ones taste it certainly had my attention.  I had some lovely striped ponti that I picked up from Backstreet Bargains which I immediately ear marked for this skirt and it was top of my list when my patterns arrived.  


I cut it out to a size 8 which was perhaps my first mistake.  I bought the wrong size.  I should have gone for a 10.  Working longer hours has resulted in a small amount of weight gain that I am yet to sort out, but has meant a jump in pattern size which I neglected to do.  My second mistake was ignoring the pattern instructions.  My fabric was one way stretch and cutting the stripes against the recommended stretch was not my wisest decision in hindsight.   I have ended up with a skirt that unless I do loose some weight is really too small, even with a long top!


In summary, this skirt is best described as a wearable fail.  Will I make it again?  Well I might, in the correct size and fabric.  I am not convinced though that midi skirts are my thing.  I am not a big wearer of high heeled shoes and I think unless you are very tall, which I am not, they are best worn with heels.

 


Comments

  1. I think it looks great in these photos! I'm very keen to sew this up in similar ponte stripes and after your review am glad that I bought it a size larger than I often do. Midi length is an awkward one in some ways but I think you have styled this well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awkward is a good way of putting it! I might have to have a play with styling this one!

      Delete
  2. I agree with thornberry! this looks great on you in the photos. I think the length on you is good also. To me, midi means several inches longer, toward the mid calf. BTW, cute house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calling this length midi might be a stretch but I considered midi to be anything that fell between below the knee and ankle. Regardless it is a length that is going to take getting used to and learning how to style.

      The cute house is the Akaroa Library. It is lovely.

      Delete
  3. In spite of your reservations I think this looks great on you! and can see no evidence in your pictures that it is too small. If it doesn't feel very comfortable though, could you let it out just a touch through each side seam? or let the split out a bit? if by doing so the split becomes too revealing could you add a vertical panel onto the under-edge? I'm sure you can save it and make it more comfortable for you at the same time. It's totally worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a clever lady Carolyn! I hadn't thought of that! It doesn't have side seams but I may be able to do something. Watch this space!

      Delete
  4. I love this pattern as well. I think this skirt looks great, it doesn't look small. I think the length is great. I love midi usually longer than this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts