McCall's 6886 and Sewaholic Fraser Mash Up

 


A while ago Sheryll from Pattern Scissors Cloth kindly gave me a copy of Sewaholic's Fraser sweatshirt.   I went through a phase of being a huge Sewaholic fan and some of their patterns still remain favourites, like the Thurlow trousers and Renfrew tee.    I did have full intention of using this pattern to make a sweatshirt but once I found this lovely quilted fabric, the idea of a dress was born.


I was keen on using both of the fabrics and really liked view A of the Fraser sweatshirt but had too much fabric to make a sweatshirt so I settled on a sweater dress of sorts.  Since McCall's 6886 is my favourite knit dress pattern, this became the basis of my dress with the yoke shaping from the Fraser sweatshirt as my design feature. 

As is standard for me with all shift dresses, I added darts at the back because of my sway back.  I could have made them deeper but was reluctanct to because of the thickness of the fabric.  There is still a small amount of pooling at the back but nothing I can't live with.   I finished the neckline with a binding that I folded to the inside and topstitched.  This ended up causing me a bit of grief.  The dress fabric was too thick and I didn't have anything in my collection that matched.  In the end I just used what I had and paid extra attention to my finishing so that it didn't show from the outside.


The fabric is a synthetic of some sort and is more of a sweater weight than a dress weight.  It came from the sale table at Fabric Vision.  I have to say I love the colour.  It is nice especially at this late stage of the season to have a bit of colour in my life and this green does feel rather fresh and spring like despite being more of a winter weight.


I really love the yoke detail of this dress and it will get a lot of wear next winter with tights and boots.  I may still get a few days of wear yet before it gets stored away in favour of lighter layers.

Comments

  1. I love this dress, the color and the way you combined the different textured fabrics using the yoke feature. It looks great on you and I'll bet it is super comfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! It is really comfortable to wear and has great stretch recovery as well.

      Delete
  2. What a great dress. How wonderful that you had two textured fabrics that work so perfectly together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a happy accident buying those two fabrics. I couldn't decide which texture I liked best so bought both!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts