Top 5 Hits of 2017


I am delighted to say, that this year, there really was only one miss.  This was Stylearc Ellie-Mae.  I made this top, took lovely photographs, one of which is my blog background photo, and decided that the elastic at the top of it just drove me nuts. I dress for comfort and pulling down the elastic every time I lifted my arms was not comfortable so this top was relegated to the donate pile.  Oh well, you win some, you lose some!

Now for the hits of 2017.  This one was tough!  So much of what I made this year, I would consider a success, in fact I would go as far as to say everything else was a success but my favourites are:



My ski pants, made using Closet Case Files Ginger Jeans. I love these pants and am really pleased I managed to take a jeans pattern and add all of those details in rtw ski wear and incorporate them into a really comfortable and functional pair of ski pants.


My Grainline Cascade made from remnants is another make I am particularly proud of.  It really is a fantastic feeling to take a bunch of leftovers and turn them into something that is not only completely wearable but something I love as well.



My Burdastyle top made of burn out velour, might seem like a simple project and actually it was but it made my top 5 because after a year of making basics, this top although simple has some really nice details that elevate it to a little more designer in style.  It was also nice to start making something from all of those Burdastyle magazines I keep collecting.


My Simplicity shirt dress probably would not have made it to the top 5 had it not been admired by a complete stranger in the mall one day.  Since then this dress has been elevated from a dress I like to a dress I now love.


My Victory Nicola dress is the last item to make it to the top 5.  The sleeves alone are the reason it made it here, even though I am also pretty happy with the overall fit and finish.  I am in love with the sleeves on this one.  They actually turned out better than I imagined.  Sleeves for the win!

All in all it has been a successful year.   There have been a lot of tnt makes and a lot of repeats but I am happy to say just about everything I have made has made it to regular rotation in my wardrobe.  Long may it continue!

This may not be of any consequence to anyone else but I do like to keep records of what I spend each year on my hobby and this year the total comes to $1218.82.  I wish I could report that my stash total had been depleted accordingly but I did manage to fill those gaps as well.  Oh well, hopefully next year I can work on that!




Comments

  1. That is a good result for the year! Not just that you only had one miss, but that you only spent $1200 to make all that you have made. I'm trying to down the stash this year too, although not off to a great start with 6 new pieces already...
    I missed your post on the Burda blouse - it looks very lovely. I actually made the dress with tie neck (still unblogged) in a rather loud print, so I don't wear it too much but I do like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burda do have some great design details so I should really try to make them a priority for this year. I look forward to seeing your dress.

      Delete
  2. So many wins and only 1 miss...great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I count that as progress. Hopefully 2018 will be as successful!

      Delete
  3. Great year! I really love that Nicole dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I get plenty of opportunities to wear it.

      Delete
  4. You've had a fantastic year! so many beautiful things,a nd I can see why that dress was complimented. What I don;t understand is how it wasn't a favourite already! it's gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make in 2018! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shirt dress was a style I thought may not suit me. Generally elastic waists don't suit me at all so this one came as quite the surprise.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Andrea on such a successful sewing year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am looking forward to as many successes in 2018.

      Delete
  6. I love the simplicity dress too and get why the lady stopped you to ask about it at the mall. And there is just something so satisfying about using scraps up too ! Lovely makes and happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! I loved making that coat and there was certainly a sense of achievement when all the puzzle pieces came together.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts